Thursday, October 25, 2012

Gentoo on my HP - Continued

I'm pretty sure that I got lucky when I configured the sound on this thing. It didn't work at first, but I'm sure that it's because I didn't have the right flags in make.conf. When I installed pysolfc, the sound worked and I'm pretty sure I did that before messing with the sound configuration in the kernel. And all I did there was to compile it as modules so I could figure out which ones I needed and which ones I didn't.

I had written a bunch of simple scripts for my Dell that I sure miss now. Some of them I rewrote - the really easy ones like the one to watch the progress of the emerge or the progress of the fetch. "tail -f /var/log/emerge.log" - easy, like I said, but I always forget where they put the emerge.log - so it comes in handy. I had a really cool one that backed up imo important files like /usr/src/linux/.config and /etc/conf.d and stuff like that and tacked the date onto it. Now I'll have to figure out how to do that again.



BTW - Here's my make.conf file:
 # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more detailed example.
## CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
## CFLAGS="-march=btver1 -mtune=btver1"
## CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.

CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"

PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="error warn log info"
PORT_LOGDIR="/var/log/portage"
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.usu.edu/mirrors/gentoo/ http://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage "

# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the profile used for building.
#USE="mmx sse sse2"

VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics"

ORIGINAL_USE="mmx sse sse2"
SYSTEM="-minimal bindist wifi vim-syntax offensive branding alsa libnotify startup-notification"
LANGUAGES="python tk gtk sqlite"
X="X udev -kde -gnome policykit consolekit dbus"
PICTURES="jpg jpeg png tiff apng"
VIDEO="xvid x264 mp4 mpeg theora matroska ffmpeg gstreamer"
AUDIO="aac flac mp3 ogg vorbis libass openal"MISC="pdf rar"

USE="${ORIGINAL_USE} ${SYSTEM} ${LANGUAGES} ${X} ${PICTURES} ${VIDEO} ${AUDIO} ${MISC}"
I really like that way of doing my USE flags.

I'm emerging libreoffice right now. They say it takes 8/(# of cores)  hours to compile. It's going on 2 hours and the last I saw (maybe 1/2 hour ago) it was at like 63/104. It's in the middle of a big section right now, so I can't tell how far it is. I may have to go with the compiled version next time.

There's still plenty to do. It's usable now, but not how I want it. But that's at least half the fun of Gentoo. It's like a video game puzzle - only it's real life. When you're done - you have your computer just the way you like it.

A quick list looks like this:

Fix SLiM (doesn't work with xdm) I have to use startx.
Fix icons - not all are showing up.
Rewrite backup script.
Install Java and add use flag and emerge -N world
...

Projects:
Learn how to use python curses and write 2 apps- 1) to browse portage and extract descriptions from packages and 2) to clean old log files

****************************************************************
UPDATE: The libreoffice compile took 9 hours. Of course, I was using my computer the whole time (Firefox, Thunderbird, various others programs)- and it was noticeably slower - but assuredly usable.

****************************************************************
UPDATE2: The backup script is:
#! /bin/bash

date=$(date +"%Y%m%d")

tar -cjf /home/all_users/backup$date.tbz2 /etc /usr/src/linux/.config /root/bin/


No comments:

Post a Comment